Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Zero MPG


I confess that I have become a Dunkin' Donuts regular over the last year. I discovered that they do espresso drinks and are almost half the price of "gourmet" coffee shops. Like the expensive shops, the quality of your coffee really depends on the skill of the kid who makes your drink. I've had what seemed like the worst cappuccino of my life from a veteran Starbucks "barista" (give me a break...) and what was arguably espresso perfection from a Dunkin' Donuts guy who seemed more interested in chowing down on munchkins than making my drink. Well whatever, i'm not going to write about coffee today.There's something more pressing...
It used to just be at the bank, but now Dunkin' Donuts, Starbucks, MacDonalds and even my drugstore have a "drive through" line. They're called "drive through" but there seems to be very little driving and a lot of idling. I always go inside because frankly it seems like you get waited on faster. I just don't get how with gas prices floating at around three dollars a gallon, people feel all right about waiting in a line while they get 0 miles to the gallon. I am clueless about how this has come to be...but then again, half the country believes that to leave Iraq at this point would be to "surrender". What a world...

2 comments:

Yiayia said...

Indeed, boundaries, priorities, goals, all seem to have become distorted in our world today. Reading Alan Alda's "Things I Overheard While Talking to Myself" puts lots of things back in perspective for me.

Anonymous said...

The Espresso beans from Dunkin Donuts are fair trade certified, too! Although, I haven't figured out why they don't advertise it much...