Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Local Speed Limits...

After my bike ride this AM I called my friend Maddy, a local police officer. I was calling to negotiate my surrender. She just needed to tell me the time and place. I didn't want any trouble and would come in peacefully. I confessed that I had achieved the speed of 47 mph on Becket - Tyne Road, a posted 35 mph zone. I am aware that if you are 10 mph over the limit it is considered an offence worth a ticket. She thanked me for calling but pointed out that the 35 mph speed limit was for automobiles and trucks only - there was no designated Bike speed limit so I had, in fact, violated no law. This was a relief. With the internal glow of good citizenship, and a sense that the world in fact had some rational order, I proceeded with my day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The other day I got my Wagon up to 95 mph on Washington Mt. Road...What do you think of that shit? Impressive eh? Anyways, I like the blog. Keep up the good work.
-Evan

Anonymous said...

DWELTZ--
WILL BE MAKING A CITIZEN'S ARREST LATER THIS WEEK, SO STOP GLOATING ABOUT BEING A "GOOD CITIZEN". IT'S ALCATRAZ FOR YOU, EVIL DOER LAW BREAKER! (WE'LL ONLY TOLERATE SUCH SHANANAGANS FROM THE WEALTHY AND POLITICIANS -- USUALLY ONE AND THE SAME......)
SO SAY YOUR GOODBYES, TERRORIST. YOU'RE GOING TO THE CLINKER. (DO YOU KNOW THE TUNE, "HE'S IN THE JAILHOUSE NOW"?)
BG

Anonymous said...

A month later and I got my bicycle (a beach cruiser) up to 35 on the back streets of Key West. I almost got killed by an amazed chicken flying up into my face. Do they have feral chickens in Becket. Watch out...chris